With the launch of TOP BOY season 2 on Netflix, we took it way back and linked with our boy Scorcher who played the arch rival gang leader 'Kamale' in the first two original Top Boy seasons that aired on Channel 4. A creative maestro and artist that is embedded in the UK scene we wanted to pick Scorch's brains on the show, his involvement from early days and of course his advice for the up and comers. Let's goooo:
- As one of the foremost characters in the original Top boy series, do you find many people are retroactively discovering you as an artist and actor with the release of the new show on Netflix? Yeah sometimes. It’s hard to tell where from though. Usually people ask if I’m gonna be in the next series mainly...
- How do you feel about being a major contributor to such a successful show, now that all four seasons of Top Boy have gone global? It’s nice to be part of something from the beginning, it’s like you’re part of the journey from the start before it’s cool.
- You have any intention of taking on more acting roles in the near future? Yeah I’ve been doing a lot more acting recently (Small Axe that aired on BBC1 recently, You Don’t Know Me, again on BBC1, Drunk Comedy (Comedy Central) and really starting to feel comfortable in that world.
- Obviously your music career is your number one focus presently and with a reputation as one of the most authentic and grounded artists in the scene, what is your recipe for maintaining that longevity and status? I just be myself, that’s usually enough! lol
- As a creative that is very meticulous and conceptual with your projects, tell us some more about the new track with Tion Wayne and the concept and execution you’re looking for. It was a pretty natural song really, I just heard the beat and could hear him on it, so reached out and we got it done. Pretty straight forward
- To top off here are some quickfire questions:
Favourite character from Top Boy (all four seasons)?
Top three UK artists?
Me, Myself and I (one day lol)
We know you’re an encyclopaedic football fan, so favourite ever player and why?
Sergio Busquets or Xabi Alonso, both extremely limited physically but found a way round that and made people re-imagine how you can play football.
Finally any advice for aspiring up and coming music artists and actors? Be yourself and enjoy the journey. Don’t worry about other people and concentrate on your craft and being the best you, not a version of someone/thing else.
Big Up Scorch for dropping all the gems. Keep your eyes peeled on the show and look out for all the KING cameos and also check out our other actor/character showcases with Ashley Walters (Dushane) Joshua Blissett (Kieron) and Nyshai Caynes (Romy). All of the items featured in Top Boy as well as a whole lot more can be purchased on our special Top Boy section right here.