As one of the most prominent authentic UK streetwear brands, the new decade and huge shift towards online retail in the wake of the global covid-19 pandemic has seen us witness an increasingly changing landscape in fashion, trends and what brands consider themselves to be ‘streetwear’. The popularity of streetwear has increased exponentially in this period with a huge rise in the number of people online and discovering new brands for the first time, but in doing so, so has the misconception of what streetwear really is.
Having been a central part of the culture, living and breathing the streetwear life for over 17 years, the definition of ‘streetwear’ has gone from a coveted underground movement, through a period where many brands dis-associated themselves from the phrase to the current climate whereby the popularity of streetwear has led to rife miss-appropriation and exploitation, particularly amongst the commercial and fast fashion world, online and on the high-street.
‘Streetwear’ for us is a simple term with clear definition. It is an involvement in and representation of a culture that encapsulates style, music, art, expression – a culture that we live and breath and give back to on a daily basis, with clothing being our conduit of contributing to that movement.
There are hundreds of amazing brands and many UK streetwear brands at this time that rightly have established themselves as respected representatives of the scene as well as some serious emerging brands, and they know who they are. Yet exploitation and the rise of commercial culture-vultures has grown in recent years – latching on to a movement without providing any substance, contribution or real interest other than that of making money.
From VC funded online fast-fashion giants to copycat start-ups with access to a creative suite and knowledge on how to play the facebook ad algorithm, the online marketplace in particular is now awash with generic looking clothing companies. It is becoming harder for people to separate one from the other and to sift through the throwaway, fast fashion to get to the genuine, credible and high quality brands. How can you tell if a brand carries any authenticity, point of difference or pays any priority to quality and customer service…
In response to this situation we thought it would help to provide a little more clarity around KING and our position in worldwide and UK streetwear and the global culture. After all, if someone is prepared to part with their hard-earned money, we feel that they should be able to make a qualified decision based on factual knowledge of our reputation, customer service, quality and who we are and what we do…
At KING, we follow a set of guiding principles and this has helped established ourselves as the premium choice for our customers, setting trends with qualified heritage and British design since 2003:
1. Individual and unique - We make exclusive limited runs with no repeats when items have sold out.
2. Value – We use innovative, expert design, European sourced fabrics and pay attention to detail with diligent quality control. Our garments last.
3. Impeccable customer service – See over 750 of our 5 Star ratings and reviews on Trustpilot.
4. Authentic and credible - We are the choice for many of the world’s biggest talents in music, fashion, sports and social media.
5. Heritage – We are a self-started brand, established in 2003 and grown through an unwavering work ethic and constantly evolving dynamic
6. Culture – Our passion comes from living and breathing our culture. Foremost to our mission is representing that correctly and with integrity which is why we are the number one choice for shows like Netflix Top Boy and films like Rapman’s Blue Story and Deno Driz’ The Re-Up.
We consider ourselves as the trusted choice for those looking to discover something new whilst being standard bearers for all of the above, so that when you buy a KING garment you are buying more than just an item of clothing. For those that have taken the time to read this and those discovering us for the first time, we stand in unison and show our appreciation by setting up a special one time 10% discount for use on your next purchase – Please use code KING10 at the checkout on your next visit.